YA authors: Tired of hearing people say that your audience is all going to TV and video games? Here are some encouraging new data on teen-agers’ reading habits from the Random House Research and Analytics team.
This April 2013 study of 1,000 13- to 17-year-olds reveals that most teens are read for fun.
The findings have some important implications for YA authors:
- 62 percent of teens in the study read for fun either “occasionally” or “very often”
- Teens are more likely to read books than magazines, newspapers, or graphic novels
If you are an author, here are some useful bits about your audience:
- There are more girls than boys who read for fun
- Both boys and girls like adventure and humor
- Boys mostly like SF and graphic novels; girls mostly like real-world situations
- They often get their books from the library
- Their preference for ebooks over print books is growing
- They like to take reading recommendations from parents and teachers or librarians
Check the Random House post and infographic for details.