Target Marketing for Authors
How to Find and Captivate Your Book’s Target Audience
Book marketing is hard work. It can be a strain on the budget of time or money or both. It takes you away from writing the next book. The need to go out and constantly sell, sell, sell is embarrassing and dispiriting.
It doesn’t have to be that way if you find the right audience.
Let’s face it. Some people are never going to want your book. It’s nothing personal. There’s never been a book in the history of the world that everyone wanted.
What happens if you give yourself permission not to sell to those people who don’t want it and instead focus on the people who do?
- You don’t have to “sell” your book. You just tell them about it, and they want to buy it.
- You get to stop annoying people with a constant and pathetic refrain of “Buy my book. Please buy my book.”
- You get the encouragement of talking to people who are grateful that you wrote it.
- You sell more copies, more easily, at less expense.
This is not a magic button or an easy formula. It doesn’t replace the basics of a well-written, professionally edited and designed book.
It’s the key to communicating your message that you know instinctively, but perhaps haven’t thought about with respect to your book marketing.
Target Marketing for Authors
Target marketing is the open secret of the marketing community. For professional copywriters, it’s the first and last thing they take into account as they create commercial copy.
But target audience is not just a “commercial truth.” It’s something we intuitively take into account in every conversation.
In Target Marketing for Authors: How to Find and Captivate Your Book’s Target Audience, I lay out for you step by step how to know and make a personal connection with the people who would love your book and beg you to write more for them, if they only knew about it.
- Discover your audience before you write
- Craft your book to serve the people who want it most
- Show traditional publishers that you’re a good investment
But you’ll save the time you would waste writing for and marketing to the wrong people.
Target Marketing Step by Step
This short book gets straight to the heart of the matter and applies it to what you need to know:
- How you as an author use the principles to clarify your marketing and sell more books.
- How to find the target audience for your fiction or nonfiction book
- How knowing your target market can boost your book sales
- How to use your knowledge to develop a deep personal connection with your reader
What the Experts Say About Target Marketing
I’ve known Jan for years. She’s one of the smartest and most analytical writers I know. This is must-read stuff for writers who are looking to build an effective platform. Which we must if we’re serious about selling what we write. ~ Larry Brooks, Storyfix.com
Understanding your target market is essential. It’s the starting point. If you don’t know who is most likely to buy your book, you are really going to struggle to market your book. And to sell it, you’re going to have to market it.
~ Sandra Beckwith, BuildBookBuzz.com
It’s absolutely critical [for an author to know the target market of a book]. No book is for everyone, and few authors have the resources to go out and market to the world in general. So you have to focus on the niches that the book was designed to serve. But I think it’s also important to remember that most books have multiple target markets.
~ Dana Lynn Smith, SavvyBookMarketer.com
[Target marketing] is really critical, because you think about where a lot of waste happens in all of our lives . . . . when you’re throwing resources at something. It’s either you’re putting it in front of the wrong people or you’re giving them the wrong things. . . . Target marketing is a really efficient way of connecting with people. I also think it’s about really creating meaning, because when you understand who you’re trying to reach and what they’re passionate about, you’re more likely to have a real connection. It’s not just a company trying to sell something. It’s about two like minds coming together.
~ Dan Blank, WeGrowMedia.com
Get Your Copy Now
Or Get a Deeper Understanding of This Crucial Topic
I’ve interviewed four book marketing experts to show how target marketing works for authors in real life.
- Sandra Beckwith of BuildBookBuzz.com has more than 25 years of experience as a publicist. She now teaches authors and small-business people to manage their own publicity. Among other books and offerings, she teaches Book Publicity 101: How to Build Book Buzz, a four-week course in publicity with separate tracks for independently published and traditionally published authors.
- Dan Blank of WeGrowMedia.com has worked in the publishing industry and now helps authors make an impact and build their legacies. He teaches courses in author platform development and has spoken at such events as the Writer’s Digest Conference, BookExpo America, Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Digital Book World, and many more.
- Dana Lynn Smith of SavvyBookMarketer.com has 27 years of experience in marketing, 17 in the publishing business. She teaches authors to sell more books through how-to guides, training programs and coaching services, as well as her blog and newsletter.
- Larry Brooks of Storyfix.com teaches the physics and architecture of story structure. Author of writing books published Writers Digest, as well as his own novels, Larry teaches advanced writing techniques at his award-winning website Storyfix.com.
- How to use social media to sell your book and still have time to write your next book
- How to build an audience before your book is written
- How to use target marketing to build your author’s platform
- Unique challenges fiction writers face in finding their target audience
These interviews are available in two formats: digital download or two-disk set (two interviews on each disk).
Target Marketing for Authors, in PDF format — you can easily read it on your computer, smart phone, tablet, or e-reader device
Target Marketing Questionnaire, in PDF format — standalone copy of the book’s appendix with a form you can print out and use again and again
Audio Interview with Publicity Expert Sandra Beckwith
Audio Interview with Author Platform Expert Dan Blank
Audio Interview with Book Marketing Expert Dana Lynn Smith on Target Marketing and Social Media
Audio Interview with Story Structure Expert Larry Brooks
|Target Marketing for Authors|
|Target Marketing Questionnaire|
|Sandra Beckwith Interview|
|Dan Blank Interview|
|Dana Lynn Smith Interview|
|Larry Brooks Interview|
Digital download has MP3 audio files, which
Two-disk set is playable on any audio CD player,
Don’t waste any more time on scattershot marketing. Click the button below to get your copy.
Target Marketing for Authors — Digital download $10
Prefer a physical copy?